Five Things To Do Before Starting Your Remodeling Project
You would like to remodel your bathroom or kitchen and
you have a pretty good idea what you want it to look like, but where do
you start. Who do you call first? Do you find someone in the Yellow
Pages or on the Internet? Quit pulling your hair out, because I'm about
to share five of the most important things you need to consider before
starting any home remodeling project.
1. Go to the library and get some books? If you're going to remodel your bathroom, find some books on bathroom remodeling and start looking at the pictures, learning about the different styles and then get more books. More books usually means more pictures and more pictures leads us to our next tip.
2. A picture is worth a thousand words. It doesn't really matter which section of the home your remodeling, if you don't know exactly what you want it to look like, you're going to need to start looking at pictures and look at as many pictures as you possibly can, until you come up with something that you truly desire.
3. Will this design work well in my home? It's never going to be a good idea to install Spanish floor tile in a contemporary bathroom. Make sure that your remodeling project matches the style of the rest of your home.
4. How much is this going to cost? You can get prices for all of the items that you're planning on installing and this should give you a pretty good start. For labor prices, you're going to need to contact a contractor, but only do that after you read tip number five.
5. How do I find a good contractor? This isn't as tough as most people think it is, but you're going to need to look for three very important things. Make sure that you get along with the contractor, they have enough experience to complete the project and by all means, check to make sure that they actually have a contractor's license.
To sum it all up, if you don't really know what you want, start looking at pictures and if you don't know how much things are going to cost, start reading some books on construction costs. If you don't know who to hire, start asking your friends for referrals.
Good luck and I hope this helps in your next remodeling project.